Thursday, November 11, 2010

Take 2-squared. 2x the post. 2 years in LA


REPOST: (by popular demand)

My big plan was to come to the Coffee Bean on my break and blog about how I’ve lived in LA for 2 years now (well, almost). Unfortunately, that’s not possible when their Internet isn’t working. This isn’t the first time this has happened to me here. It especially sucks because I don’t drink coffee or tea, therefore, places like this are simply empty, delicious, whipped-cream-on-top calories. While I enjoy every last sip, I wouldn’t even waste my money on them if it wasn’t for the promise of free interwebz. Thanks for making me fat and poor for nothing, Coffee Bean.

Ok sorry about that tangent. For now, I’m simply typing in word hoping to remember to c/p later. Perhaps it’s better if I just leave it for nobody to see…like Creed. So today kind of started off with quite the pity party. Nothing specifically bad happened, but I was tired, hungry, sore, and traffic was extra terrible this morning, so I decided I was going to be a little miss piss pants all day….Then the universe shifted. The teacher I was supposed to observe before lunch was absent, so I got two entire hours and 15 whole minutes to go wherever I wanted (within reason) to eat lunch and watch Modern Family (that was the other Coffee Bean plan;)). I still wasn’t convinced I was in a good mood yet, but as I pulled into the parking garage in downtown Culver City (for Chipotle, of course), I caught a glimpse of a restaurant- UGO. This Italian café just so happens to be the very first restaurant I ever visited while in Los Angeles. It was a month before I moved here, and my mom and I came for the weekend just so sign the lease and get things situated for the big move. It was at this moment that I realized the date, Novemeber 4th. Just 3 days before the two-year anniversary of the day I left Illinois. TWO YEARS!!

I guess if I really think about it, it seems like I’ve been here forever. While these two years have flown by, LA has become so much of who I am, I feel like these sights and smells are all I’ve ever known. This isn’t to say I don’t miss home and my family and friends there (namely my mom and a handful of BFFs-you know who you are) dearly, it just feels like that was an entirely different life. It’s really odd. I think what makes LA home now is the amazing family I’ve gained here. From my roommates, Brittany and Jess, to the countless other amazing people I have had the privilege to call my friends since I’ve moved here, I have a loving support system on the West Coast. I know I have people I can count on and turn to. There are people I love that love me in return. It’s a great feeling to know that I came here only knowing 2 people and now have a plethora of people to include in my LA family.

I think the number one, hands down, no take-backs blessing I’ve received since I’ve moved here is CONFIDENCE. However, I feel as though this is completely ridiculous. In this image-driven city, how do I possibly feel better about myself? I have no idea. Maybe I was just on survival mode for so long, it finally caught up with me and buoyed me up above all the crap. I feel good about myself physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. This isn’t an easy place to live. It’s impossible to get anywhere, let alone park and get inside without spending $50 (ok, maybe that’s an exaggeration). People aren’t always the friendliest. Everyone is BUSY all the time. It doesn’t matter who you are or what your lifestyle is, if you live in this city you have no time for anything. You have to fight to stay above, or at least that’s what it feels like to this primarily small town girl.

When it comes down to it, this city has shaped and molded and beaten me into the person that I am today. The sights, the smells, the people, just the culture in general has sucked me right in and produced this west-coast Christine. Seriously, I’m sitting in a Coffee Bean blogging. Don’t worry, I left my skinny jeans at home today. For real though, if you would’ve told me 3 years ago that I would be in grad school, living in LA, blogging in general, let alone at a coffee shop, I would’ve called you a dummy. Regardless, I’m grateful for who I am today and who has helped me get here. From family, old friends to new friends, stupid boys, temp work, school (USC and Castle Heights), to my little kiddies, I’m who I am because of you, and I think you’ve done a pretty good job.

2 comments:

  1. I love your paragraph on Confidence. It was really inspiring for me... I've always admired that quality about you. You're incredibly confident but so down to earth too. I love you. I love blogspot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant even begin to describe how much I am glad you moved here. We just started to get to know each other but im so glad that were friends. You are an inspiration! Keep it up babygirl. <3

    ReplyDelete